Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Race of Life



If you would like to read President Monson's talk or follow along with the words while watching the video go here.

Often when I hear or read a conference talk I am drawn to the questions that are asked by the speaker.  I feel like my answers to these questions can give me insight into what it is that I might need to focus on or change in my life.  President Monson introduces his topic by talking about how we all seem to be in a hurry, busy making many trivial decisions daily.  Then he asks the question,

"What is really important and what is merely trivial?"

What in my life do I feel is really important?
How can I know what is truly important?
Do my daily choices have more to do with the trivial or the important?
What do I focus on?
Do my choices reflect my values?
Are these the values I want to be reflecting to those around me?

President Monson quotes the Savior's words found in Matthew 6:19-21 that we should not lay up treasure on earth, but treasure in heaven.

What kind of treasure am I collecting as I go throughout my day?
Worldly treasure that will be left behind or heavenly treasure that will stay with me?

In Matthew 6, Jesus continues "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

"What is really important and what is merely trivial?"


President Monson tells of a woman who receives the news that her life may be cut short and how her priorities immediately change.

If I had a "moment of clarity" such as this, what would I change?

Why wait?

1 comment:

  1. I really liked Pres. Monson's talk. It would be a great one to share with someone investigating the church because it's an explanation of the plan of salvation and the importance of this earth life. It makes us really consider if we are spending time on what is really important in life.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts.